HHS Cafeteria brings change and garners praise

Cafeteria's changes offer a breath of fresh lettuce.

by Conner Press

Cafeteria’s changes offer a breath of fresh lettuce.

Jennifer Klein, Editor-in-chief

If you love salad, you are most likely familiar with nearby Saladworks. While I must admit, Saladworks is one of, if not the best place to get a salad, its prices are sky high.  At Hillsborough’s Saladworks, a simple chicken Caesar salad is $8.65, after tax. Why pay $8.65 for this salad, when you can buy a comparable salad for a fraction of the cost right here at HHS?

In our very own cafeteria, a delicious chicken Caesar salad is sold for only $4.00.  Starting last school year, big changes came to our school’s cafeteria. Meal choices were improved, variety was expanded, and healthy choices became plentiful.

When comparing prices between a chicken Caesar salad from McDonald’s and HHS, McDonald’s salad is actually more pricey than here at school, with McDonald’s charging $4.59.

Gourmet sandwiches, platters of fruit, hummus and cheese were also added to the daily menu during lunch periods. Additionally, mini cereal boxes are sold, as well as fresh yogurt parfaits.

Deanna Falcucci, the woman behind these changes,  is ecstatic about the upgrades.

“People love the idea of the ‘grab-n-go’ concept,” Falcucci said. “This way, the lines won’t be so long, and there will be more time for students and faculty to enjoy their food.”

Leaning towards the “grab-n-go” concept for the cafeteria’s future, Falcucci aims towards quick and easy access for school lunches. Pre-wrapped and ready-made sandwiches are already prepared for students when it’s time for their lunch period.

“At first, I thought the new food choices were pretty dumb, but when I started eating it everyday I’ve noticed my waist size getting smaller and smaller each day,” senior Dan Venditti said. “Not only can I fit into my new pair of wrangler jeans, but I feel so much healthier. Thank you HHS.”

One of the most popular questions that the cafeteria staff has gotten, is one that we’re secretly all thinking. Will the old cookies ever come back?

“Unfortunately, I don’t think the old cookies will be coming back anytime soon due to the Obama law,” Falcucci said. “Trust me, I wish we could bring them back too.”

Even though the school may not be able to satisfy all students with a sweet tooth, most students are very happy with the recent changes.  

More and more students are starting to buy lunch every single day rather than packing a lunch from home because of the delicious variety of choices available on a daily basis.  

“I try to live my life as a strong, healthy, young man,” senior Mike Grabon said. “That’s why I eat food from HHS everyday. I of course get the salad everyday simply because it is a very nice salad. The food here is better than what I get at home.”