Boys swim team enters the pool this year with great expectations

Juniors Matt Ciattarelli, Matt Roarty, Thomas Zdroik, and Joe Cseh hope to make an impact this season in the pool.

Photograper: James Choe

Photograper: James Choe

Photograper: James Choe

Lindsey Baum, Staff writer

Boys swim is starting up again and ready to go all the way this season. Coached by Todd Sudol, last year’s team was able to achieve a strong record, while making an impressive run in the state tournament all the way to the Central Jersey, Public A Championships.

The team this year has definitely evolved from last year. A notable loss from last year’s team is Matt Sanders, who was always a strong contender in the 100m freestyle, among other events.

However, several swimmers are prepared to step up to help propel the team to new heights this season.

One swimmer who perfectly fits this description is senior Josh Franco. Franco, who has already committed to embark on a collegiate career at NJIT, has career bests of 55.00 seconds in the 100m backstroke, 1:48:77 seconds in the 200 freestyle, 50.11 seconds in the 100m freestyle, and 2:00.75 in the 200m individual medley.

Another important member of this year’s team is senior Derek Kosydar. Over his time at Hillsborough, Kosydar has achieved career bests of 1:03.04 seconds in the 100m butterfly, 2:04.78 seconds in the 200m freestyle, 2:02.21 seconds in the 200m individual medley, and 55.25 seconds in the 100m backstroke.

In addition to established team members, Hillsborough also welcomes some important newcomers. One is freshman James McChesney, who looks to make an immediate impact in the relay events for the school.

Another new member to the team is junior Thomas Zdroik. Zdroik, who played basketball his freshman and sophomore years, boasts an impressive club swim record and will be an important part of this year’s team.

Despite the individual strengths of the swimmers, all agree that the team’s greatest asset is its depth.

“It’s a great feeling when you not only are winning events, but as team, having our swimmers who are on the outside lanes scoring the most important points to win the events points wise,” senior Franco said.

Overall, the consensus is that the team is more versatile than ever this year, and it is this versatility that will allow Hillsborough to excel.

One of the toughest competitors Hillsborough faces this season is Hunterdon Central. Last season, Central beat Hillsborough 93-77 to capture the Central Jersey, Public A sectional championship. A goal of Hillsborough this season is to again compete for, and hopefully win, this title.

Clearly a team with high aspirations and an abundance of talent, the boys swim team deserves attention and support.

• Boys swim team enters the pool this year with great expectations

Midterms are the talk of the school-fortunately you get Renz’s survival tips

Red Cross Club and National Honor Society host blood drive

Students commit to Division I athletics on national signing day

TED-Ed Club takes Manhattan

Debate team is victorious in recent competition

World Views

Pelosi and Democrats gain power to challenge Pres. Trump

The top 20 hip hop albums of 2018

Op-Ed

Tips and tricks to keep New Year’s resolutions

Cafe Graziella remains Hillsborough’s hidden gem

Boys swim team races out to strong start