Boys swim gives impressive performance to win third at Conference Championships

The boys swim team poses for a picture ahead of the Skyland Conference meet.

Lindsey Baum, Staff writer

On Jan. 20, at the Skyland Conference Swim Championships held in Skillman, N.J., HHS boys swim faced its toughest test of the season: a large meet with several NJ swim powerhouses.

However, the boys put in a strong performance to garner third place overall at the meet. Scoring 135 total points, the team tied with Ridge for third place, while Bridgewater-Raritan was second with 242 points, and Pingry took home the crown with 372 points.

As has been the course for the season, Hillsborough’s biggest strength was its depth. The team only captured first in one event, but strong performances in relays and individual events helped accumulate enough points to place in the top three.

Senior Josh Franco achieved the only individual win for HHS, taking home the crown in the 200 yard freestyle in 1:43.49. This is only the latest win in a strong season for the NJIT-bound senior, and he looks to continue his success in the higher levels of state competition.

“I was extremely excited about competing in my last Skyland Conference meet for Hillsborough,” Franco said. “I knew I had to pull off a win to put a title under my belt and start the meet off right for our team.”

Other HHS swimmers who placed in individual events include senior Derek Kosydar, who finished in fourth place  in the 100 yard freestyle in 49.01, and junior Thomas Zdroik, who came in sixth in the 50 yard freestyle in 23.29.

Hillsborough relay teams also placed in three different relay events, coming in third in the 200 yard medley relay, second in the 200 yard freestyle relay, and second in the 400 yard freestyle relay.

Overall, the meet featured a strong team effort to place at a highly prestigious meet.

• Boys swim gives impressive performance to win third at Conference Championships

Senior Destinations

Raiders Take Teen Arts Festival

Sophomores Rush Into Spirit Night, Finish 3rd

Junior Jazz takes 2nd place on Spirit Night

Freshman Party Their Way Through Their First Spirit Night

Seniors win Spirit Night 2018

• Features

Spring 2018 HHS Arts Gallery

“Breaking In”: A thrilling thriller

News

Hillsborough welcomes new Starbucks

News

Weather Committee is newest addition to physical education department