Cheerleading team competes in the UCA National High School Cheerleading Championship

The+Hillsborough+competition+team+performs+their+routine+at+nationals+in+Florida.+
The Hillsborough competition team performs their routine at nationals in Florida.

courtesy of Chelsea Chin

courtesy of Chelsea Chin

Ty Kang, Staff writer

From Feb. 10-11, the Raider cheer team traveled to Orlando, Florida, to compete in the Universal Cheerleaders Association National Championships.

This was a very exciting time for all, especially the seniors because they worked hard to finally return to nationals. The girls needed to place high in their regional competition to earn a bid. Practicing over ten hours per week, their hard work paid off.

“Hillsborough High School did not have a competition team for a couple of years and a very determined group of cheerleaders came to me with a goal, to get themselves to the National Championships,” head coach Danielle Depirri said. “They placed top 5 in their divisions in the Regional competition to get them a bid to the National Championships, practiced for 10 hours a week and attended nationals with confidence. They had met their goal and made a name for Hillsborough High School competition again.”

The team competed in the Small Varsity Division 1 Prelims, performing the routine they worked to perfect since the fall.

Performing at the national championship posed new challenges, and the atmosphere was nothing like what they had experienced before. Being able to perform in such a prestigious center among high caliber talent is a one of a kind experience.

“The national championship is an amazing experience where the team gets to meet other teams from around the world,” Depirri said. “They get to watch and support other teams and learn from their skills and experiences as well. It is a competition like no other. The girls were immersed into the competition for two days and were able to experience cheerleading at a higher level. We had such a memorable experience and can’t wait to go back and do it again.”

It has been a great competition season for the cheerleading team, and they will be coming back next year even stronger.

• Cheerleading team competes in the UCA National High School Cheerleading Championship

Senior Destinations

Raiders Take Teen Arts Festival

Sophomores Rush Into Spirit Night, Finish 3rd

Junior Jazz takes 2nd place on Spirit Night

Freshman Party Their Way Through Their First Spirit Night

Seniors win Spirit Night 2018

• Features

Spring 2018 HHS Arts Gallery

“Breaking In”: A thrilling thriller

News

Hillsborough welcomes new Starbucks

News

Weather Committee is newest addition to physical education department