Cheerleading team competes in the UCA National High School Cheerleading Championship

The+Hillsborough+competition+team+performs+their+routine+at+nationals+in+Florida.+

The Hillsborough competition team performs their routine at nationals in Florida.

courtesy of Chelsea Chin

courtesy of Chelsea Chin

courtesy of Chelsea Chin

Ty Kang, Staff writer

From Feb. 10-11, the Raider cheer team traveled to Orlando, Florida, to compete in the Universal Cheerleaders Association National Championships.

This was a very exciting time for all, especially the seniors because they worked hard to finally return to nationals. The girls needed to place high in their regional competition to earn a bid. Practicing over ten hours per week, their hard work paid off.

“Hillsborough High School did not have a competition team for a couple of years and a very determined group of cheerleaders came to me with a goal, to get themselves to the National Championships,” head coach Danielle Depirri said. “They placed top 5 in their divisions in the Regional competition to get them a bid to the National Championships, practiced for 10 hours a week and attended nationals with confidence. They had met their goal and made a name for Hillsborough High School competition again.”

The team competed in the Small Varsity Division 1 Prelims, performing the routine they worked to perfect since the fall.

Performing at the national championship posed new challenges, and the atmosphere was nothing like what they had experienced before. Being able to perform in such a prestigious center among high caliber talent is a one of a kind experience.

“The national championship is an amazing experience where the team gets to meet other teams from around the world,” Depirri said. “They get to watch and support other teams and learn from their skills and experiences as well. It is a competition like no other. The girls were immersed into the competition for two days and were able to experience cheerleading at a higher level. We had such a memorable experience and can’t wait to go back and do it again.”

It has been a great competition season for the cheerleading team, and they will be coming back next year even stronger.

• Cheerleading team competes in the UCA National High School Cheerleading Championship

Diagnosed with a case of senioritis

Battle Of The Bands showcases local rock talent

5 last minute gift ideas for that special someone on Valentine’s Day

Raiders hockey brings the heat to the ice rink

J.R. Spencer earns Educational Services Professional of the Year title

A rainy St. Patty’s Day in Somerville

Jonas Brothers make successful comeback with song “Sucker”

Op-Ed

Jussie Smollett is innocent until proven guilty and here’s why

Sports

Hillsborough girls basketball concludes a productive season

CYO championship is one for the ages