Spirit Night will see a new time slot and everyone is not happy

Senior Sean Jackson competes in the Tic-Tac-Toe Relay during last year's Spirit Night.

by Nick Bruno

by Nick Bruno

by Nick Bruno

Sean Jackson, Staff writer

All year, students work in preparation for Spirit Night, whether it is coming together to put together a dance, a video, or even just designing the t-shirt. In past years, the day begins very early in the morning. Students pour in as early as 6:50 a.m. to look at the floats and murals for each class. Also, the day is filled with fun as students get called down by grade to learn their class chants in the auditorium. And lastly, videos of each grade are presented in front of the school. It is a great school day followed by an even better night of fun.

This year, the administration has made Spirit “night” begin at 3:30 p.m. and made it on a half day of school. There are many pros and cons of both. Some students are for the change while some are very against it.

Some people say it is much better this way. Spirit day is a fun filled day that does not need to be a full day of school. Most people go to school to see the designs, learn the chant, and watch the videos prior to the night’s festivities.

However, not every kid has the chance to come in early and see all the designs. This leaves them to only be able to see floats and murals during their own time, such as during lunchtime. Unfortunately, with a half day, lunch will not be served. So many students are very unhappy with the routine this year on a half day. I am sure they would be much happier if the school allowed time during the day to go down and see all the work.

Some are passionately against this. People have been saying why fix something that is not broken. Kids love having the school day learning chants, watching the class videos, and seeing the whole grade come together as a team. Being able to walk around during lunch to see all the murals and floats makes the students very excited for the night. Seeing first hand how hard their peers from their class worked, builds anticipation for the evening. Without lunch, they do not get the chance to see this. Also, many people at HHS play a spring sport which is after school. Just because it is a half day does not mean practice will move up three hours. Practice would have to be around 3 o’clock….. same time as Spirit Night. I am sure Principal Karen Bingert will have the chance to talk to the coaches and work something out. However, the athletes and the coaches know the teams need everyday of practice they can get.

In the end, many students are aggravated that Spirit Night has been moved up to the afternoon. It is not more convenient for the students some argue, as it is still 3 hours from the dismissal bell. On the other hand, some students are very excited the event will start much earlier. It gives them the chance to hang out with friends after having a great time. Overall, Spirit Night is by far the best night of the year for close to all the students at HHS. Whether it is at 6:00 p.m. or 3:00 p.m., people will find a way to agree and disagree with the choice. No matter what, Spirit Night is Spirit Night and every student who attends will have one of the best nights of the year.

• Spirit Night will see a new time slot and everyone is not happy

Midterms are the talk of the school-fortunately you get Renz’s survival tips

Red Cross Club and National Honor Society host blood drive

Students commit to Division I athletics on national signing day

TED-Ed Club takes Manhattan

Debate team is victorious in recent competition

World Views

Pelosi and Democrats gain power to challenge Pres. Trump

The top 20 hip hop albums of 2018

Op-Ed

Tips and tricks to keep New Year’s resolutions

Cafe Graziella remains Hillsborough’s hidden gem

Boys swim team races out to strong start