Raiders join the walkout movement

by Courtney Nielsen

Senior Ashley Yang participates in the walkout to voice her opinion with a sign reading, “Enough is enough.”

Courtney Nielsen, Staff writer

On the morning of Mar. 14, exactly one month after the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, students of HHS joined millions of students around the country in a walkout against gun violence.

The walkout, which began as a protest for stricter gun laws and therefore safer schools, was to take place at 10:00 a.m. and last until 10:17 a.m.: 17 minutes to honor the 17 victims of the Parkland shooting. Students all over the United States were to join together to remember the lives of the victims and to emphasize the movement’s slogan “Never Again.”

Hillsborough students specifically chose to organize the event to fight for their own safety. With the help of administration, over 1000 students were able to safely demonstrate on the school’s turf and listen to speeches given by seniors Diana LoRicco and Jake Naroden and sophomore Gabi Diaz, along with a reading of each of the 17 names of the victims. As each name was called, a silver balloon was released in remembrance.

LoRicco, who took on the responsibility of organizing the event and spreading the word to all students, spoke about the absurdity of the nonchalance with which we as a society view school shootings. The senior emphasized the importance of feeling safe at school and the duty of students to stand up for their lives.

“Getting students involved in the fight for gun reform is so important because this is about our safety,” LoRicco said. “The walkout was about more than just the speeches we gave and the show of strength; it was about getting students excited and passionate about taking action, and to give them the tools to enact lasting change.”

The demonstration was very moving for the approximately 1000 students in attendance, and the widespread support of HHS staff members was felt deeply. Though many students would have chosen to walk out of the building even if it meant receiving a “cut” or worse, Hillsborough students acknowledge how fortunate they are to be learning in an environment that embraces civil discourse.

“Although schools cannot endorse a walkout, there is a responsibility to ensure the safety of students when one is happening,” principal Karen Bingert said in a letter to the parents and guardians of HHS students.  “With the cooperation of the Hillsborough Township Police Department, the district facilities staff, school staff, and district and building administration, the student participants were able to raise their civic voices as well as to honor the victims of the Parkland shooting.”