NHS welcomes newest inductees

From+left+to+right%2C+seniors+Rohil+Chada%2C+Kaley+Murday%2C+Karan+Mahesh%2C+Catherine+Nguyen%2C+and+Rakesh+Senthilvelan+light+the+candles+representing+the+pillars+of+the+National+Honor+Society.+

NHS welcomes newest inductees

From left to right, seniors Rohil Chada, Kaley Murday, Karan Mahesh, Catherine Nguyen, and Rakesh Senthilvelan light the candles representing the pillars of the National Honor Society.

courtesy of Meghan Patel

courtesy of Meghan Patel

courtesy of Meghan Patel

Courtney Nielsen and Olivia Marnell

On Mar. 27, high achieving students of the classes of 2018 and 2019 were inducted into the Hillsborough High School chapter of the National Honor Society. Families and friends gathered in the auditorium to honor and celebrate the accomplishments of their loved ones.

In order to become a member of National Honor Society, or NHS, students went under a rigorous application process. Upon applying, these students had to have a grade point average of 95 or higher, a minimum of 20 community service hours, and a demonstration of character and leadership qualities. After being accepted into the program, students then had to officially become members through the induction ceremony.

Junior Amanda Schimmel was inducted as a member and appreciated the acknowledgement of her academic achievements.

“It was such an honor to be inducted into NHS,”  Schimel said. “I have worked hard throughout my time at the high school and it’s satisfying to see my hard work pay off.”

President of National Honor Society Karan Mahesh opened the ceremony by speaking about honor, the main qualification for National Honor Society. Mahesh was followed by speeches from Kaley Murday, Catherine Nguyen, Rohil Chada, and Rakesh Senthilvelan, the NHS officers.

Each new member had an individual moment to be recognized as he or she was introduced by senior members of NHS. Every student had their name called and was presented to the audience with a “fun fact” about them. Students then walked across the stage to sign their names into the record of all past members of the Hillsborough High School chapter.

Celebrations were had all around following the ceremony, congratulating the new inductees on their accomplishments.

• NHS welcomes newest inductees

Diagnosed with a case of senioritis

• NHS welcomes newest inductees

Battle Of The Bands showcases local rock talent

• NHS welcomes newest inductees

5 last minute gift ideas for that special someone on Valentine’s Day

• NHS welcomes newest inductees

Raiders hockey brings the heat to the ice rink

• NHS welcomes newest inductees

J.R. Spencer earns Educational Services Professional of the Year title

• NHS welcomes newest inductees

A rainy St. Patty’s Day in Somerville

• NHS welcomes newest inductees

Jonas Brothers make successful comeback with song “Sucker”

• NHS welcomes newest inductees

Op-Ed

Jussie Smollett is innocent until proven guilty and here’s why

• NHS welcomes newest inductees

Sports

Hillsborough girls basketball concludes a productive season

• NHS welcomes newest inductees

CYO championship is one for the ages

NHS welcomes newest inductees