New Chromebooks introduced for 2018-2019 school year

by Michael Shokoff

Students head to tech hub in wake of Chromebook issues. Fortunately, new student computers are expected to arrive for next year.

Alex Cole, Michael Shokoff, and Eric Booth

The staff in the tech hub – James Smart, Valeria Pannia, and Thomas Fresco – are very aware of the Chromebook issue. Working in the tech hub every day, they are fully knowledgeable about how often the Chromebooks need to be repaired.

Like us, Fresco, Pannia, and Smart want change to the current system. Hence, they are also advocating for new Chromebooks as well as improved “loaners”.

The tech hub allowed us to get a firsthand look at the potential chromebook models that they plan on supplying students with next school year. We were able to try out different things on each type of chromebook in order to compare each one.

The options for next year include a Dell, Acer, HP, and Lenovo model. Each model also has tablet capabilities, as the screen can be flipped back.

Each model was impressive. Whatever the tech hub chooses, they are certainly taking the necessary actions to fix the current Chromebook dilemma at the school. With these new Chromebooks, students will have more reliable Chromebooks and more reliable loaners when their Chromebooks face problems.

The current Chromebooks will serve as the new loaners, and the current loaners will be gone.

Junior Matt Roarty was given a chance to test out the new devices.

“It was a great experience to learn about the new technology that will be coming to the High School,” Roarty said.