Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

Science testing booklets were issued to students in preparation for next week's examination.

by Gina Dorsey

by Gina Dorsey

Gina Dorsey, Staff writer

Science testing is fast approaching and this year, although it will only test juniors, the test is not just for students in biology. This new addition is unwelcome to many students.

Many students, such as myself, are upset that we have to go through science testing again. Science testing is a two day long process where students are tested on their knowledge of chemistry and other sciences. Previously, students would take science testing when they took biology, so students would take them at different points in their academic careers.

However, this new introduction to the curriculum and the new graduation requirement ensures that all juniors take the testing, regardless of whether they have taken it before.

In my opinion, this science testing is unnecessary. I think that substituting a passing score on the science section of the ACT or another test of equal value should be an option for these students. Many students have taken chemistry freshman, or sophomore year, and would not be able to adequately review for the test in the amount of time given. This reflects badly on the students and the school, because the school looks like they do not prepare their students well enough in science classes, and the students look like they cannot understand science well enough to receive a passing score.

Additionally, bio testing was a better way of assessing knowledge because students would take it the year that they took bio, so their knowledge of the subject would be based on fresh knowledge of a subject they were currently taking and not- like the science testing this year- based on their ability to remember sciences they had taken freshman or sophomore year.

Although there is nothing the administration can do about this testing now that the state of New Jersey has set it in motion as a graduation requirement for high school students, hopefully the state will roll back this ludicrous policy and revert back to the old bio testing.

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

Sophomores Shine at PA Lights Fest

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

Noah V. Kubacki: the best dressed kid in school

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

The Rockin’ Raiders bring joy and passion to Raider sidelines

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

Boys soccer remains unbeaten through first seven

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

New student teachers hit the halls at HHS

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

News

The dynamic duo of Zavacki and Iyer publish article

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

News

HHS revolutionizes music technology with new iMacs and Logic Pro X

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

Apple releases Iphone XS

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

News

Class of 2022 campaign for class cabinet positions

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

HHS gymnastics storms to 5th straight Somerset County title

Science Testing: Is It Necessary?