Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

Science testing booklets were issued to students in preparation for next week's examination.

by Gina Dorsey

by Gina Dorsey

by Gina Dorsey

Gina Dorsey, Staff writer

Science testing is fast approaching and this year, although it will only test juniors, the test is not just for students in biology. This new addition is unwelcome to many students.

Many students, such as myself, are upset that we have to go through science testing again. Science testing is a two day long process where students are tested on their knowledge of chemistry and other sciences. Previously, students would take science testing when they took biology, so students would take them at different points in their academic careers.

However, this new introduction to the curriculum and the new graduation requirement ensures that all juniors take the testing, regardless of whether they have taken it before.

In my opinion, this science testing is unnecessary. I think that substituting a passing score on the science section of the ACT or another test of equal value should be an option for these students. Many students have taken chemistry freshman, or sophomore year, and would not be able to adequately review for the test in the amount of time given. This reflects badly on the students and the school, because the school looks like they do not prepare their students well enough in science classes, and the students look like they cannot understand science well enough to receive a passing score.

Additionally, bio testing was a better way of assessing knowledge because students would take it the year that they took bio, so their knowledge of the subject would be based on fresh knowledge of a subject they were currently taking and not- like the science testing this year- based on their ability to remember sciences they had taken freshman or sophomore year.

Although there is nothing the administration can do about this testing now that the state of New Jersey has set it in motion as a graduation requirement for high school students, hopefully the state will roll back this ludicrous policy and revert back to the old bio testing.

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

Diagnosed with a case of senioritis

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

Battle Of The Bands showcases local rock talent

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

5 last minute gift ideas for that special someone on Valentine’s Day

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

Raiders hockey brings the heat to the ice rink

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

J.R. Spencer earns Educational Services Professional of the Year title

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

A rainy St. Patty’s Day in Somerville

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

Jonas Brothers make successful comeback with song “Sucker”

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

Op-Ed

Jussie Smollett is innocent until proven guilty and here’s why

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

Sports

Hillsborough girls basketball concludes a productive season

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

CYO championship is one for the ages

Science Testing: Is It Necessary?