Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

Science testing booklets were issued to students in preparation for next week's examination.

by Gina Dorsey

by Gina Dorsey

by Gina Dorsey

Gina Dorsey, Staff writer

Science testing is fast approaching and this year, although it will only test juniors, the test is not just for students in biology. This new addition is unwelcome to many students.

Many students, such as myself, are upset that we have to go through science testing again. Science testing is a two day long process where students are tested on their knowledge of chemistry and other sciences. Previously, students would take science testing when they took biology, so students would take them at different points in their academic careers.

However, this new introduction to the curriculum and the new graduation requirement ensures that all juniors take the testing, regardless of whether they have taken it before.

In my opinion, this science testing is unnecessary. I think that substituting a passing score on the science section of the ACT or another test of equal value should be an option for these students. Many students have taken chemistry freshman, or sophomore year, and would not be able to adequately review for the test in the amount of time given. This reflects badly on the students and the school, because the school looks like they do not prepare their students well enough in science classes, and the students look like they cannot understand science well enough to receive a passing score.

Additionally, bio testing was a better way of assessing knowledge because students would take it the year that they took bio, so their knowledge of the subject would be based on fresh knowledge of a subject they were currently taking and not- like the science testing this year- based on their ability to remember sciences they had taken freshman or sophomore year.

Although there is nothing the administration can do about this testing now that the state of New Jersey has set it in motion as a graduation requirement for high school students, hopefully the state will roll back this ludicrous policy and revert back to the old bio testing.

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

Midterms are the talk of the school-fortunately you get Renz’s survival tips

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

Red Cross Club and National Honor Society host blood drive

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

Students commit to Division I athletics on national signing day

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

TED-Ed Club takes Manhattan

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

Debate team is victorious in recent competition

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

World Views

Pelosi and Democrats gain power to challenge Pres. Trump

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

The top 20 hip hop albums of 2018

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

Op-Ed

Tips and tricks to keep New Year’s resolutions

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

Cafe Graziella remains Hillsborough’s hidden gem

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

Boys swim team races out to strong start

Science Testing: Is It Necessary?