Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

Science testing booklets were issued to students in preparation for next week's examination.

by Gina Dorsey

by Gina Dorsey

Gina Dorsey, Staff writer

Science testing is fast approaching and this year, although it will only test juniors, the test is not just for students in biology. This new addition is unwelcome to many students.

Many students, such as myself, are upset that we have to go through science testing again. Science testing is a two day long process where students are tested on their knowledge of chemistry and other sciences. Previously, students would take science testing when they took biology, so students would take them at different points in their academic careers.

However, this new introduction to the curriculum and the new graduation requirement ensures that all juniors take the testing, regardless of whether they have taken it before.

In my opinion, this science testing is unnecessary. I think that substituting a passing score on the science section of the ACT or another test of equal value should be an option for these students. Many students have taken chemistry freshman, or sophomore year, and would not be able to adequately review for the test in the amount of time given. This reflects badly on the students and the school, because the school looks like they do not prepare their students well enough in science classes, and the students look like they cannot understand science well enough to receive a passing score.

Additionally, bio testing was a better way of assessing knowledge because students would take it the year that they took bio, so their knowledge of the subject would be based on fresh knowledge of a subject they were currently taking and not- like the science testing this year- based on their ability to remember sciences they had taken freshman or sophomore year.

Although there is nothing the administration can do about this testing now that the state of New Jersey has set it in motion as a graduation requirement for high school students, hopefully the state will roll back this ludicrous policy and revert back to the old bio testing.

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

Senior Destinations

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

Raiders Take Teen Arts Festival

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

Sophomores Rush Into Spirit Night, Finish 3rd

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

Junior Jazz takes 2nd place on Spirit Night

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

Freshman Party Their Way Through Their First Spirit Night

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

Seniors win Spirit Night 2018

• Features

Spring 2018 HHS Arts Gallery

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

“Breaking In”: A thrilling thriller

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

News

Hillsborough welcomes new Starbucks

• Science Testing: Is It Necessary?

News

Weather Committee is newest addition to physical education department

Science Testing: Is It Necessary?