Freshman Field Day Proves a Success

by Meghan Patel

Temporary tattoos was a popular attraction at the 2018 Freshman Field Day.

Meghan Patel, Staff writer

Chicken baseball, Amoeba Tag, and Tug of War were only a few of the countless games played at Wednesday’s Freshman Field Day. As music blasted from the stadium speakers, the entire class of 2021 was able to enjoy some sunshine and fun with friends and their Peer Mentors.

On May 23, 9th graders were allowed to be excused from their 9th and 10th period classes to spend time in their Peer Mentor Groups outside. After meeting in designated areas of the commons according to their Peer Group number, the freshmen were led to the turf where they were greeted by enthusiastic Peer Mentors.

The turf had been divided into six sections each split into four quadrants. Inside each quadrant was a different game that Peer Mentors facilitated. Some included various forms of tag, a tic-tac-toe relay, chicken baseball, and group juggling.

After rotating through those games, the freshmen were also able to have a “free” period in which they could walk the track, gather with friends, and grab water and ice pops.

People were also offered the chance to get temporary tattoos and different forms of facepaint, both of which were spearheaded by Peer Mentors with above average artistic abilities.

The event acted as a final goodbye between Peer Mentors and their groups as well as between graduating Peer Mentor partners and rising Peer Mentor seniors. It was also a chance to celebrate each other and end the year with a bit of fun after two semesters of serious discussions about prevalent high school issues.