Project graduation: step up and volunteer

Last+year%27s+Project+Graduation+was+a+keepsake+for+seniors+to+remember+the+last+hurrah+with+members+of+the+class+of+2018.+
Last year's Project Graduation was a keepsake for seniors to remember the last hurrah with members of the class of 2018.

courtesy of Robin Kimmelman

courtesy of Robin Kimmelman

Heather Suraci, Features editor

Every year, the graduating class of Hillsborough has an opportunity to partake in an unforgettable experience. The night of graduation, the senior class is taken to an all-night event at Dave & Buster’s, located in Franklin Mills,  Pennsylvania. The event provides a safe drug and alcohol free environment to celebrate graduation.

The event is sponsored and fully funded by HHS Project Graduation. This organization is able to provide transportation, activities, food, commemorative t-shirts, and much more to the graduating class. The event is completely free to any senior who wants to attend.

Project Graduation is able to provide this experience by conducting various fundraisers throughout the school year and obtaining donations from local businesses. The organization does not receive any funding from HHS or the Hillsborough Board of Education. Without the support from the community, the event would not be possible.

Two of the biggest fundraising events for the organization are the annual prom dress sale and the fashion show. The dress sale has dresses of all styles ranging from short  cocktail dresses to long gowns; all dresses are gently used and in great condition. The fashion show attracts numerous individuals seeking inspiration for the upcoming prom season. The runway show features high school students modeling gowns and tuxedos provided by local boutiques and tuxedo rental businesses.  In addition to the formal wear, younger children also participate in the runway show by modeling both formal and casual clothes donated by local department stores.

With the beginning of a new school year, Project Graduation is seeking volunteers.  The organization is taking a new approach this year, and is requesting volunteers from every grade.   If you would like to sign up, or have any questions, contact the organization’s co-chairs; Robin Kimmelman ([email protected]) and Donna Hands ([email protected]).

Meetings take place in room 302 at 7:30pm on the following dates: 10/17, 11/14, 12/19, 1/9, 2/20, 3/20, 4/17 and 5/8. Step up and volunteer; be a part of  this great organization!

• Project graduation: step up and volunteer

Sophomores Shine at PA Lights Fest

Noah V. Kubacki: the best dressed kid in school

The Rockin’ Raiders bring joy and passion to Raider sidelines

Boys soccer remains unbeaten through first seven

New student teachers hit the halls at HHS

News

The dynamic duo of Zavacki and Iyer publish article

News

HHS revolutionizes music technology with new iMacs and Logic Pro X

Apple releases Iphone XS

News

Class of 2022 campaign for class cabinet positions

HHS gymnastics storms to 5th straight Somerset County title