Seniors, it is time to register to vote

Voting+booths+will+be+ready+to+tally+your+votes+here+at+Hillsborough+High+School+on+Nov.+6.+
Voting booths will be ready to tally your votes here at Hillsborough High School on Nov. 6.

photo via Wikimedia Commons under creative commons license

Eric Booth and Christopher M. Smith

One’s right to vote is a freedom that many people around the world can only dream of. Fortunately, for U.S citizens, at the age of 18 this is a right that is given, and not exercising this right is foolish.

This November will be the first opportunity for seniors, or anyone who will be turning eighteen, to make a difference in a very important election. Nov. 6 is when the ballots open for midterm elections. This election is particularly important because it will determine the majority party leading the house of representatives, now currently controlled by the conservatives.

The immense power that the Congress holds in our government is very important to recognize for voters. While members of the house of representatives may not receive nearly as much attention as a figure such as the president, they are responsible for writing and passing legislation that can affect all Americans.  Regardless of how trivial one’s vote may seem, it is crucial to participate.

“Every vote counts,” is a phrase that has never held more truth. The forthcoming election has the potential to change New Jersey from a democratic to a republican state. Past elections have shown that Jersey usually resides on the left, but political standings are never set in stone.

“Registering to vote gave me so much power,” senior Nicole Wasylak said. “I love exercising my rights as an American citizen.”

Hillsborough is part of the district seven election, that consists of six different candidates. The candidates running in the upcoming general election are Leonard Lance, Tom Malinowski, Diane Moxley, and Gregg Mele.

Filling these seats with the people that align with your views, and a person that you trust to make decisions on your behalf, will benefit the nation. Not voting also puts one in a position where they have nowhere to speak if they believe the new electors are ineffective.

The seats in congress are not determined by the electoral college, but a result of the popular vote. Meaning, one vote can determine the outcome of the election, because just one vote directly impacts what party New Jersey is associated with.

Voting booths are generally located in public schools and municipal centers and will be open on Nov. 6. You are making a difference by casting your ballot, so mark your calendar.

It is extremely important to recognize the power we have in relation to voting. Not all countries are as fortunate and it is important that we exercise our right to choose our representatives.

Eric Booth, Op-ed Editor

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Christopher M. Smith, Staff writer

"Real friends stab you in the front."

• Seniors, it is time to register to vote

Dominique earns All American honors to cap historic season

HHS Gymnastics storms to fifth straight sectional title

Students get down at Garba

Boys soccer finishes regular season unbeaten, heads into county finals this weekend

Homecoming excitement and anticipation set to peak this week

Hillsborough boys soccer team cements its legacy

Ryan Mitchell receives state-wide recognition from the cross country community

“Dodgy style 2” claims the coveted dodgeball championship

Jonah Hill directs first movie, “Mid90s”

Seniors, it is time to register to vote