HHS introduces new dance team

courtesy of Lindsey Skole

New dance team, posing in their new attire, are busy preparing for the school’s inaugural season.

Ty Kang and Sean Levonaitis

Last spring, Hillsborough High School introduced a new school dance team. Because it is relatively new, most students and teachers do not know about the addition. However, the new team already boasts a total of twenty-six members and two coaches.

Many students may wonder where they can watch the dance team. Originally, the dance team was going to make an appearance during halftime at the homecoming football game, but it can no longer happen because the team has not had enough time to prepare.

Although the team is not going to perform, students will be able to see them on Dec. 1 at their showcase, where they will be performing the routines they will be using at competitions.

Despite not being able to perform at football games this year, the team will be showcasing their routines at halftime during the basketball games this winter.

When speaking to some of the dance team members, they informed us about why they wanted to join the new program.

“I danced outside of school for seven years, and when the opportunity came up, I was ecstatic,” junior Kristi Liivak said. “Dancing with some of my best friends for the school team is such a privilege.”

Joining the competition dance team comes with a great amount of responsibility. The team practices between two to three times a week.  Although that may not seem like a lot, the practices are long and tiring. According to the girls, they do not get home until 9:00 p.m. sometimes. To join the dance team, you have to audition, as well as be determined and ready to work in order to maintain your spot.

We had the opportunity to have junior Catherine Flynn enlighten us on the amount of commitment that is required to be on the team.

“We all have to learn how to manage time with dance studio and the school team,” Flynn said. “We have to alter our personal schedules around our practice times.”

Along with the hard work and dedication, there is also the enjoyment and pleasure of being on the dance team. Junior Nicolette Moleski informed us about her feelings when she heard that the rumors of a potential dance team were true.

“I was very excited for the dance team to start because our school never had one,” Moleski said. “It was a great idea to start one.”

The dance team is ready to bop their way to the top.