Under representation for the LGBT community in schools is getting old

The Pride Parade is a parade of love and tolerance, something our schools could do a better job at promoting.

photo via Wikimedia Commons under creative commons license

Christopher M. Smith, Staff writer

There are many societal stereotypes inflicted on homosexuals that has made the rest of society resent them. This animosity stems from a lack of discussion. Nobody is born into this world with an innate hatred; people learn to hate. People learn that if something is different than them, it must be wrong. In society, the word “different” is often met with negative connotations. Where there is negativity, there is hatred. The real question is why–why are people so against homosexuality?

I came to the revelation that I never learned this in school, because the school system refuses to spread LGBT awareness and acceptance.

Take a look at the average curriculum – it is evident that homosexuality is underrepresented. Growing up, I learned about men and women falling in love and starting families. This often made me wonder where a homosexual’s place was in this story. Can gay couples obtain the same happiness a straight couple can?

American culture initiates the idea that there is something wrong with being gay. The education system is indirectly supporting that same idea by keeping this issue in the dark. The topic of same sex relationships should be normalized. When a child is developing, they start becoming more perceptive to the world around them. They begin to notice that nobody ever mentioned homosexuals in grade school; children automatically categorize it negatively. As a result, they continue to learn the parochial views of society without getting the chance to form their own opinion.

Children should not be growing up thinking they have to confine their love for someone. The negative stigma that surrounds this topic is due to the lack of discussion. Where there is no discussion there is no education, and when there is no education, there is no real conversation. This cycle continues and ignores an entire community–a community that has been oppressed for centuries striving to be recognized, but not scrutinized.

There is a variety of ways that the Hillsborough school district can educate students about homosexuals. For example, an English class, regardless of the grade, can read a book about gay people. Just by reading one simple book, massive discussions can be created. This is exactly the kind of conversation that needs to be had in order to normalize it. English is not the only subject that can incorporate the LGBT community. Barbara Gittings can be discussed in History and Alan Turing can be brought up in science. We need to change the straight white man’s curriculum, and be more inclusive to the ones who are oppressed  in this world.

Christopher M. Smith, Staff writer

"Real friends stab you in the front."

• Under representation for the LGBT community in schools is getting old

Dominique earns All American honors to cap historic season

HHS Gymnastics storms to fifth straight sectional title

Students get down at Garba

Boys soccer finishes regular season unbeaten, heads into county finals this weekend

Homecoming excitement and anticipation set to peak this week

Hillsborough boys soccer team cements its legacy

Ryan Mitchell receives state-wide recognition from the cross country community

“Dodgy style 2” claims the coveted dodgeball championship

Jonah Hill directs first movie, “Mid90s”