Boys soccer finishes regular season unbeaten, heads into county finals this weekend

Boys soccer rallies together before the second half in the semifinal victory over Bernards.

by Ginny Blanke

by Ginny Blanke

by Ginny Blanke

Boys soccer remains undefeated as they continue its magical run through the competition. Beginning the season at No. 19 in the state, they are now ranked No. 8 in the NJ.com Top 20. Their record stands at an impressive 15-0-2.

On Thursday, Oct. 18, the Raiders defeated Summit 3-2. For much of the contest the Raiders trailed, but junior Jake Laifer scored two goals to help the Raiders win the game.

“It felt fantastic scoring for the team,” Laifer said. “It was even more special last night. We all played our hearts out and now it’s onto the next game.”

Boys soccer also advanced to the finals of the county tournament after winning the semifinals game against Bernards on Oct. 20. The raiders won 3-2, two of the goals being scored by senior Zurab Bedoshvili, and the other being scored by junior Alex Ford. Hillsborough will now face off against Pingry in the county final, which takes place at Torpey Park on Saturday Oct.27. Hillsborough beat them earlier in the season 2-1, so it is sure to be an intense game.

In the week leading up to the county final, boys soccer continues to win games. On Monday, Oct.22, Hillsborough notched a 3-2 win over Franklin. Goals from junior Henry Cruz and seniors Justin Dominique and Bedoshvili helped the Raiders top the Warriors. This win also helped the Raiders secure first place in their conference.

The boys also had a game on Tuesday, Oct. 23 against Phillipsburg. Despite the hard fought battle by both teams, the game ended in a 0-0 tie. Senior goalkeeper Nick Burd made six saves to ensure the shutout. Although it was not a win, this tie resulted in the Raiders finishing the regular season without a defeate, at 15-0-2.

Show support to boys soccer by attending the Somerset County Final on Saturday at 3:00 p.m. at Torpey Park.

• Boys soccer finishes regular season unbeaten, heads into county finals this weekend

Diagnosed with a case of senioritis

Battle Of The Bands showcases local rock talent

5 last minute gift ideas for that special someone on Valentine’s Day

Raiders hockey brings the heat to the ice rink

J.R. Spencer earns Educational Services Professional of the Year title

A rainy St. Patty’s Day in Somerville

Jonas Brothers make successful comeback with song “Sucker”

Op-Ed

Jussie Smollett is innocent until proven guilty and here’s why

Sports

Hillsborough girls basketball concludes a productive season

CYO championship is one for the ages