Travis Scott releases the music video for “SICKO MODE” to great acclaim

Travis Scott's

Travis Scott's "SICKO MODE", from his album Astroworld, was released as a video earlier this month.

Published under fair use

Published under fair use

Published under fair use

Joey Dunphey, Reviews editor

On Aug. 3rd, Travis Scott dropped his most anticipated album, Astroworld, after announcing it two years prior to the release. On of the stand-out songs on this album is the second track, titled “SICKO MODE,” which features Drake, Big Hawk, and Swae Lee.

“SICKO MODE” is not just any ordinary song; it resembles the roller coaster in the amusement park Astroworld, with varying flows and sharp beat drops. It begins with singing by Drake while the beat builds, and then the beat drops and he begins rapping. However, after a few bars, the beat abruptly switches and Travis Scott begins rapping his melodic verse with singing from Swae Lee. This verse ends in another beat switch, and a fast, upbeat instrumental takes over the song. Drake fits great on the beat with his laid back rapping. Scott then takes over the end of the song on the same beat.

On Oct. 19, Travis Scott dropped the music video for this song, and it did not disappoint. It has already gained over 21 million views and it has been available for less than two weeks. With attention-grabbing color schemes and intriguing edits, the video is extremely entertaining and unique. The large amount of scenes in the video also succeeds in capturing the song’s all-over-the-place structure.

The video was directed by Scott and David Meyers and features many different actors. It begins with footage of kids riding bikes around a town, but the colors of the houses, street, and sky are vibrant shades of yellow, blue, and green. Drake makes an appearance, wearing a red jumpsuit surrounded by red smoke, which is filling the town.

When the beat switches, Scott enters the video riding a horse and rapping in his hometown of Houston. Many scenes are included in this part of the song, such as Scott in a colorful indoor pool facility, next to a railroad, and on stage of a Jackson 5-type set.

For the last part of the video, Drake is in a school bus reflecting on his high school years. In addition to this, he is also seen falling through space and driving around in a car. One of the most iconic parts of the video features Scott dressed as a professor with intricate math problems covering a giant whiteboard behind him.

This video, with its abundance of different scenes and fascinating edits, is one of the most elaborate rap videos released this year. It is able to grasp the vibe of the song and its intricate structure.

The song was on top of the Apple Music charts for over a month after its release, and it still stands at No. 4. It peaked at No. 4 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 Charts. It also went double platinum, racking up over two million streams.

“SICKO MODE” has proved itself to be one of the best songs off of the album, and arguably one of the best hip-hop songs of the year. Because of the great success of the song itself, the music video can be considered as one of the best music videos of 2018.

• Travis Scott releases the music video for “SICKO MODE” to great acclaim

Diagnosed with a case of senioritis

Battle Of The Bands showcases local rock talent

5 last minute gift ideas for that special someone on Valentine’s Day

Raiders hockey brings the heat to the ice rink

J.R. Spencer earns Educational Services Professional of the Year title

A rainy St. Patty’s Day in Somerville

Jonas Brothers make successful comeback with song “Sucker”

Op-Ed

Jussie Smollett is innocent until proven guilty and here’s why

Sports

Hillsborough girls basketball concludes a productive season

CYO championship is one for the ages