Students get down at Garba

Garba goers pose for a picture.

courtesy of Ria Trivedi

Garba goers pose for a picture.

Heather Suraci, Features editor

With the fall season upon us, that can only mean one thing-Garba season. Oh yes, get out your vibrant chaaniya choli, it’s time to dance, ladies and gentleman! The energetic dance filled nights pay homage to and celebrate the traditional Gujarati culture with a modern flair.

Garba has evolved since its traditional days, yet the festivities stay true to initial meaning and roots. Garba is a form of dance which derives from the state of Gujarat in India. Many traditional Garbas are performed around centrally lit lamp, a picture, or statue of the Goddess Shakti. The circular and spiral figures of Garba have similarities to other spiritual dances, such as those of Sufi culture (Garba being an earlier tradition). Traditionally, it is performed during the nine-day Hindu festival Navarātrī.

Numerous students from HHS partake in this tradition every year. Garba dances are held here, at the HHS main gym, at least twice every year.  The people who attend are donned in elaborate outfits that shimmer and shine. Girls especially like to wear exquisite outfits with various patterns and styles.

In the past, students would celebrate the dance with their families. However, more recently, students who celebrate Garba have invited other friends, fellow HHS students, who are curious and want to experience cultural traditions. This year’s Garba dances saw a variety of new Garba goers.

“I invited my friends this year and we all had a blast,” sophomore Sanvi Bangalore said. “They all looked so beautiful in their outfits.”

The students who were new to Garba were able to be experience something vastly different from what they are used to in their own cultures. It is always exciting and fascinating to see and be involved in something new.

“It’s the most colorful and animated dance you will ever experience,” sophomore Olivia Halverson said. “There was so much going on, but I loved it all.”

Halverson had never thought of attending Garba before her friend Bangalore had told her about it. Like many of the new Garba attendees, Halverson had a positive and eye opening experience.

All in all, this year’s Garba was a success. The high energy dance circles were extremely fast paced, however, it was easy to follow and catch on if you were not familiar with the dances. Everyone who attended had a great time, and were able to get down and bust out some traditional dance moves.

Heather Suraci, Features editor

"Everyday is leg day when you're running away from your problems."

• Students get down at Garba

Dominique earns All American honors to cap historic season

• Students get down at Garba

HHS Gymnastics storms to fifth straight sectional title

• Students get down at Garba

Boys soccer finishes regular season unbeaten, heads into county finals this weekend

• Students get down at Garba

Homecoming excitement and anticipation set to peak this week

• Students get down at Garba

• Students get down at Garba

Hillsborough boys soccer team cements its legacy

• Students get down at Garba

Ryan Mitchell receives state-wide recognition from the cross country community

• Students get down at Garba

“Dodgy style 2” claims the coveted dodgeball championship

• Students get down at Garba

Jonah Hill directs first movie, “Mid90s”

• Students get down at Garba

Goldstein enhances business electives with past experience

Students get down at Garba