Students get down at Garba

Garba goers pose for a picture.

courtesy of Ria Trivedi

Garba goers pose for a picture.

Heather Suraci, Features editor

With the fall season upon us, that can only mean one thing-Garba season. Oh yes, get out your vibrant chaaniya choli, it’s time to dance, ladies and gentleman! The energetic dance filled nights pay homage to and celebrate the traditional Gujarati culture with a modern flair.

Garba has evolved since its traditional days, yet the festivities stay true to initial meaning and roots. Garba is a form of dance which derives from the state of Gujarat in India. Many traditional Garbas are performed around centrally lit lamp, a picture, or statue of the Goddess Shakti. The circular and spiral figures of Garba have similarities to other spiritual dances, such as those of Sufi culture (Garba being an earlier tradition). Traditionally, it is performed during the nine-day Hindu festival Navarātrī.

Numerous students from HHS partake in this tradition every year. Garba dances are held here, at the HHS main gym, at least twice every year.  The people who attend are donned in elaborate outfits that shimmer and shine. Girls especially like to wear exquisite outfits with various patterns and styles.

In the past, students would celebrate the dance with their families. However, more recently, students who celebrate Garba have invited other friends, fellow HHS students, who are curious and want to experience cultural traditions. This year’s Garba dances saw a variety of new Garba goers.

“I invited my friends this year and we all had a blast,” sophomore Sanvi Bangalore said. “They all looked so beautiful in their outfits.”

The students who were new to Garba were able to be experience something vastly different from what they are used to in their own cultures. It is always exciting and fascinating to see and be involved in something new.

“It’s the most colorful and animated dance you will ever experience,” sophomore Olivia Halverson said. “There was so much going on, but I loved it all.”

Halverson had never thought of attending Garba before her friend Bangalore had told her about it. Like many of the new Garba attendees, Halverson had a positive and eye opening experience.

All in all, this year’s Garba was a success. The high energy dance circles were extremely fast paced, however, it was easy to follow and catch on if you were not familiar with the dances. Everyone who attended had a great time, and were able to get down and bust out some traditional dance moves.

Heather Suraci, Features editor

"Everyday is leg day when you're running away from your problems."

• Students get down at Garba

Midterms are the talk of the school-fortunately you get Renz’s survival tips

• Students get down at Garba

Red Cross Club and National Honor Society host blood drive

• Students get down at Garba

Students commit to Division I athletics on national signing day

• Students get down at Garba

TED-Ed Club takes Manhattan

• Students get down at Garba

Debate team is victorious in recent competition

• Students get down at Garba

World Views

Pelosi and Democrats gain power to challenge Pres. Trump

• Students get down at Garba

The top 20 hip hop albums of 2018

• Students get down at Garba

Op-Ed

Tips and tricks to keep New Year’s resolutions

• Students get down at Garba

Cafe Graziella remains Hillsborough’s hidden gem

• Students get down at Garba

Boys swim team races out to strong start

Students get down at Garba