Freshman world history event brings empires to HHS

Freshman+Noah+Kubacki+presents+his+toast+and+ideas+to+the+other+respective+%22countries%22.+
Freshman Noah Kubacki presents his toast and ideas to the other respective

Freshman Noah Kubacki presents his toast and ideas to the other respective "countries".

by Ty Kang

by Ty Kang

Eric Booth, Ty Kang, and Julia Spano

On Friday, Oct. 18, history teacher Christopher Brophy’s freshman world history class went the extra mile in their attempt to create a diplomatic proceeding of leaders around the ancient world. Forgetting the established system, Brophy has gone to great lengths to attempt to help educate the minds of young students in a way that is against the grain.

Normal days taking notes in class? Brophy doesn’t think so. The world history class spent five days collaboratively gathering research and learning about their topics in the library. Followed by spending the day in the auditorium doing their presentations.

Assigned as different leaders from numerous empires, pairs and trios of students worked together to resemble their designated civilization using the knowledge they learned.

The Mughals, Irish, British, and Chinese were a few of the empires represented. Cultural artifacts, as well as traditional clothing from each empire were welcomed and used by many groups to contribute to the atmosphere. This part of the assignment was definitely taken advantage of as many kids dressed in their empire’s classic attire.

The event began by a salute from each empire to another, to show friendship and give the other countries historical context to connect with. Students who posed as different leaders started by making a “toast” to a fellow empire. Proceeded by opening remarks from each group and then individual speeches from the leader, this part of the project allowed for the whole class to learn a lot about each different civilization.

Each group brought to the table a different set of interesting facts and a different perspective from another civilization in history. Students being able to apply their own research into an interactive manner is a great alternative to slow paced note taking and presentations in class.

“The project was a great way to get us working with different people,” freshman James Mazuera said. “ We were able to present our own ideas and views.”

Activities like this are the future of education, and practicing real life communications is certain to help kids succeed later in life.

Eric Booth, Op-ed Editor

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

• Freshman world history event brings empires to HHS

Dominique earns All American honors to cap historic season

HHS Gymnastics storms to fifth straight sectional title

Students get down at Garba

Boys soccer finishes regular season unbeaten, heads into county finals this weekend

Homecoming excitement and anticipation set to peak this week

Hillsborough boys soccer team cements its legacy

Ryan Mitchell receives state-wide recognition from the cross country community

“Dodgy style 2” claims the coveted dodgeball championship

Jonah Hill directs first movie, “Mid90s”