The Voice

The concession stand serves a flame-broiled surprise

Luckily+the+concession+stand+was+not+damaged+in+the+fire+on+Oct.+8.
Back to Article
Back to Article

The concession stand serves a flame-broiled surprise

Luckily the concession stand was not damaged in the fire on Oct. 8.

Luckily the concession stand was not damaged in the fire on Oct. 8.

by Jardin Jacoby

Luckily the concession stand was not damaged in the fire on Oct. 8.

by Jardin Jacoby

by Jardin Jacoby

Luckily the concession stand was not damaged in the fire on Oct. 8.

Jardin Jacoby, Staff Writer

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Friday, Oct. 28, was a special night. It was the Homecoming football game along with being the Senior Night for football, cheerleading, the Rockin Raiders Cheer Team, and the marching band. The stands were more full than usual, despite the freezing cold temperature.

The game started as usual; the marching band played the national anthem and then the players kicked the ball off to start the game. Five minutes into the first quarter a small flicker of light appeared inside the concession stand. Soon students and fans could tell it was a small blaze, but reaction was slow.

“I don’t know it was kind of just there,”  senior Abby Johnstone said. “I mean no one was exiting the stand, no one was screaming. So it didn’t seem like anything was wrong at first.”

After a few minutes the flame did not go away; in fact, it grew. Soon, students started to flood out of the concession stand and a crowd started to form around the building. Students’ attention started turning away from the game and towards the 5-foot flames erupting in the middle of the place people go to buy their hot chocolate.  

The fire did not last long because custodian Willy and the Fire Department were able to put out the flames. It was later revealed that the fire was caused by a buildup of grease and food that had not been cleaned out of the grill by a previous group using the stand. “I’m just relieved that no one got hurt,” senior Bridget Eilers said.

The concession stand is run by the junior class cabinet. Volunteers sell snacks and drinks to raise money for junior prom. You can buy everything from candy to pizza there. The fire was just a minor inconvenience but it did not stop the juniors from selling food for the rest of the night.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Navigate Left
  • The concession stand serves a flame-broiled surprise

    Showcase

    Battle Of The Bands showcases local rock talent

  • The concession stand serves a flame-broiled surprise

    Showcase

    5 last minute gift ideas for that special someone on Valentine’s Day

  • The concession stand serves a flame-broiled surprise

    Showcase

    Raiders hockey brings the heat to the ice rink

  • The concession stand serves a flame-broiled surprise

    Showcase

    J.R. Spencer earns Educational Services Professional of the Year title

  • The concession stand serves a flame-broiled surprise

    Showcase

    Gina Gorman named Teacher of the Year

  • The concession stand serves a flame-broiled surprise

    Features

    Eric Rosenthal–making a difference outside the classroom

  • The concession stand serves a flame-broiled surprise

    Reviews

    Get the inside scoop on Netflix February releases 2019

  • The concession stand serves a flame-broiled surprise

    Features

    World’s most famous egg sends an “egg”celent message

  • The concession stand serves a flame-broiled surprise

    News

    It’s dissection season in the anatomy and physiology classes

  • The concession stand serves a flame-broiled surprise

    Showcase

    Battle Of The Bands showcases local rock talent

Navigate Right
The student news site of Hillsborough High School
The concession stand serves a flame-broiled surprise