Ryan Mitchell receives state-wide recognition from the cross country community

Senior Ryan Mitchell finishes strong in his group meet in Holmdel on Nov.10.

by Will Gillette

by Will Gillette

by Will Gillette

Eric Booth and Jack Renz

Hillsborough High School has had a deep history of talented runners. However, senior Ryan Mitchell has risen above the average in his three years as a varsity runner, smashing records and rewriting the definition of an achieving athlete.

The Meet of Champions, a name alone that beckons respect, is an annual event that invites the most high caliber runners from around the Garden State; Mitchell qualified for this prestigious event.

Receiving an invitation to such a meet is an enormous honor for a cross country runner, and competing in it was a goal that was set by Mitchell his first year on the team.

“It’s [qualifying for the Meet of Champions] exciting because I’ve never been able to make it out of groups before and it’s cool to be able to compete against the top runners in the state,” Mitchell said.

What made Mitchell’s journey as a runner so impressive were the obstacles he overcame. As a ninth grader, Mitchell battled an injury that derailed his season, causing him to miss out on making varsity time. The injury, however, was short-lived for he had an explosive takeoff the following season, when he achieved varsity status.

With consistent training after his freshman year, Mitchell showed no signs of slowing down. His sophomore and junior years proved that he was dedicated to the sport, and his personal record times continued to improve. This year, Mitchell had ascended to the peak of the Raider team, placing incredibly well in meets throughout the entire season. A top three runner in the Central Jersey Skyland Conference, and being ranked a top 20 runner among the entire state, were just two of Mitchell’s achievements. These accomplishments, along with many others, solidified Mitchell’s place in the Meet of Champions.

Mitchell illustrates that hard work pays off, and the blood sweat and tears he has shed contributed to his success in the sport of cross country running. He will forever hold a spot among the school’s top runners.

Eric Booth, Op-ed Editor

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

• Ryan Mitchell receives state-wide recognition from the cross country community

Midterms are the talk of the school-fortunately you get Renz’s survival tips

Red Cross Club and National Honor Society host blood drive

Students commit to Division I athletics on national signing day

TED-Ed Club takes Manhattan

Debate team is victorious in recent competition

World Views

Pelosi and Democrats gain power to challenge Pres. Trump

The top 20 hip hop albums of 2018

Op-Ed

Tips and tricks to keep New Year’s resolutions

Cafe Graziella remains Hillsborough’s hidden gem

Boys swim team races out to strong start