Ryan Mitchell receives state-wide recognition from the cross country community

Senior Ryan Mitchell finishes strong in his group meet in Holmdel on Nov.10.

by Will Gillette

by Will Gillette

by Will Gillette

Eric Booth and Jack Renz

Hillsborough High School has had a deep history of talented runners. However, senior Ryan Mitchell has risen above the average in his three years as a varsity runner, smashing records and rewriting the definition of an achieving athlete.

The Meet of Champions, a name alone that beckons respect, is an annual event that invites the most high caliber runners from around the Garden State; Mitchell qualified for this prestigious event.

Receiving an invitation to such a meet is an enormous honor for a cross country runner, and competing in it was a goal that was set by Mitchell his first year on the team.

“It’s [qualifying for the Meet of Champions] exciting because I’ve never been able to make it out of groups before and it’s cool to be able to compete against the top runners in the state,” Mitchell said.

What made Mitchell’s journey as a runner so impressive were the obstacles he overcame. As a ninth grader, Mitchell battled an injury that derailed his season, causing him to miss out on making varsity time. The injury, however, was short-lived for he had an explosive takeoff the following season, when he achieved varsity status.

With consistent training after his freshman year, Mitchell showed no signs of slowing down. His sophomore and junior years proved that he was dedicated to the sport, and his personal record times continued to improve. This year, Mitchell had ascended to the peak of the Raider team, placing incredibly well in meets throughout the entire season. A top three runner in the Central Jersey Skyland Conference, and being ranked a top 20 runner among the entire state, were just two of Mitchell’s achievements. These accomplishments, along with many others, solidified Mitchell’s place in the Meet of Champions.

Mitchell illustrates that hard work pays off, and the blood sweat and tears he has shed contributed to his success in the sport of cross country running. He will forever hold a spot among the school’s top runners.

Eric Booth, Op-ed Editor

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

• Ryan Mitchell receives state-wide recognition from the cross country community

Diagnosed with a case of senioritis

Battle Of The Bands showcases local rock talent

5 last minute gift ideas for that special someone on Valentine’s Day

Raiders hockey brings the heat to the ice rink

J.R. Spencer earns Educational Services Professional of the Year title

A rainy St. Patty’s Day in Somerville

Jonas Brothers make successful comeback with song “Sucker”

Op-Ed

Jussie Smollett is innocent until proven guilty and here’s why

Sports

Hillsborough girls basketball concludes a productive season

CYO championship is one for the ages