Debate team is victorious in recent competition

The victorious debaters, from left to right, Lasya Cheruvu, Dyrlan Warner, Teresa Buzzoni and Janice Lee pose for a picture at the competition held at NYU.

courtesy of Lasya Cheruvu

courtesy of Lasya Cheruvu

courtesy of Lasya Cheruvu

Heather Suraci, Features editor

HHS students are very competitive. The school takes tremendous pride in having competitive sports teams and a much decorated marching band.  However, it is not as well known that HHS’s academic teams are just as driven and successful. One of the numerous academic based teams here at HHS is the debate team run by history teachers Robert Fenster, Christopher Ryalls, and Caryn Brogan. The debate squad is clever, disciplined, and well-organized whenever and wherever they compete. No matter how arduous a competition may present itself, the debaters always have a cool head and use their knowledge and speaking prowess to present their views and opinions.

The debate team recently attended and competed in a model United Nations conference known as Empire MUNC at the New York University campus. The team competed in various committees modeling the real United Nations that discussed, debated, and came up with solutions regarding current global affairs. The team was able to come out of the competition with several personal honors awarded to numerous members of the squad. Among the victors were: seniors Teresa Buzzoni, Janice Lee, and Zach Volpe; juniors Alicia Liu and Yash Parikh; sophomores Lasya Cheruvu, and Adam Gottlieb. Additionally, verbal commendations were awarded to senior Smay Shah and sophomore Emily Trujillo.

When asked how it felt to represent her team at the competition, Cheruvu could not contain her excitement. “It felt really satisfying to come out with a personal award,” Cheruvu said. “I wasn’t expecting it, but I’m glad that my hard work and help from my fellow debate members paid off.” 

The conference was filled with numerous participants. Despite the fierce competition, all attending debaters participated, and each contributed to the winnings obtained at the end of the competition. All the hard preparation and work prior to the conference proved to be a success for HHS debate.

In addition to attending the conference, the team was able to let loose and explore the streets of NYC. The team was able to eat at trendy restaurants as well as visit amazing places such as the real United Nations. All of these experiences were even more enjoyable since the team was on a high from its victory.

“The way we went about all aspects of the conference, I felt as though I was a real delegate in the United Nations,” Cheruvu said. “I realized the importance of being informed and giving deep thought to the world around us. I made new friends, and became better acquainted with the members on my team.”

Heather Suraci, Features editor

"Everyday is leg day when you're running away from your problems."

• Debate team is victorious in recent competition

Red Cross Club and National Honor Society host blood drive

Students commit to Division I athletics on national signing day

TED-Ed Club takes Manhattan

Dominique earns All American honors to cap historic season

Students showcase their artistic talents at Coffee House

Raider ice hockey opens season unbeaten after four games

Girls swim team starts season with win over Mount Saint Mary

News

Dance team gets denied varsity status, but vows to keep trying

7 best Christmas albums of all time

Sports

Raider runners finish season with several honors