Students commit to Division I athletics on national signing day

The four future colelge athletes getting ready to sign their contracts. (From left to right) Delaney Smith, Kendall Smith, Gabriella Vangeli, Lisa Ross.

courtesy of Mike Davis

courtesy of Mike Davis

courtesy of Mike Davis

Joey Dunphey, Reviews Editor

Hillsborough High School is home to many talented athletes across all sports, and four of these athletes have decided to take their commitments to the next level. On Nov. 14, seniors Delaney Smith, Kendall Smith, Gabriella Vangeli, and Lisa Ross signed their first of many autographs onto a contract that will guarantee them a spot on a Division I team.

National Signing Day is the day where a high school senior athlete signs a binding National Letter of Intent, which is a form that verifies their commitment to a collegiate sport. This year, Signing Day was on Nov. 14 and the signing took place in the HHS library. Friends and family were invited to take pictures and witness the signing. The future collegiate athletes came decked out in apparel from their chosen college.

Kendall Smith, Ross, and Vangeli committed to Hofstra University, Saint Joseph’s University, and Monmouth University, respectively, for lacrosse. Delaney Smith will continue her softball career at Appalachian State University.

These girls have a strong passion for their sports, and have made the big commitment to take their skills and participation to the next level.

“Softball opens doors to many amazing things,” Delaney Smith said. “I have made friends all over the country from traveling to different states.”

For some Division I athletes, choosing a college to play for can be difficult. Not only do they have to choose based on the athletic programs, but they also have to choose a location where they will enjoy living at for four years. For Smith, the decision was fairly easy. “I walked on the campus and fell instantly in love,” Delaney Smith said. “I visited many colleges but none of them were meant to be. The idea that I could go to college and play there was just amazing.”

The feeling of signing to a college early can be extremely satisfying, as it lifts all of the stress from the college application process off of one’s shoulders. “When I signed to play at Monmouth I was beyond happy,” Vangeli said. “It was such a relief.”

It can be a long, stressful process to try and play a sport in college, especially at the Division I level. Not everyone is cut out for the difficult life of a college athlete, as it requires years of dedication and the balance of a grueling schedule.

“All the work I had been putting in my whole life had finally paid off,” Delaney Smith said. “All the stress of college showcases and travel teams was all worth it.”

The girls will be starting their new lives in the fall of 2019, and Hillsborough High School wishes them the best of luck with their sports and academics.

• Students commit to Division I athletics on national signing day

Red Cross Club and National Honor Society host blood drive

TED-Ed Club takes Manhattan

Debate team is victorious in recent competition

Dominique earns All American honors to cap historic season

Students showcase their artistic talents at Coffee House

Raider ice hockey opens season unbeaten after four games

Girls swim team starts season with win over Mount Saint Mary

News

Dance team gets denied varsity status, but vows to keep trying

7 best Christmas albums of all time

Sports

Raider runners finish season with several honors