Girls volleyball adds another season for the books

The+girls+celebrate+after+winning+their+first+game+in+the+NJSIAA+state+tournament+against+Hackensack.+

The girls celebrate after winning their first game in the NJSIAA state tournament against Hackensack.

by Sabrina Eilers

by Sabrina Eilers

by Sabrina Eilers

Shani Vasquez, Op-Ed editor

With special teammates and great leaders, come the well-earned wins. Senior captains Lenah Chedid and Gianna LoCicero led the team through a rather successful season, finishing 16-8. With a bit of a rough beginning, having lost three games within the first two weeks, it was their positive attitudes and work ethics that granted them their hard-earned triumphs.

Of the seventeen members on the team, this was the final season for six players , seniors Juliana Vierbuchen, Amanda Schimmel, Bridget Eilers, Isabelle Dima, and co-captains Chedid and LoCicero.

Starting setter junior Morgan Krempasky was also out due to an ankle injury and was unable to play for six games. Due to the unfortunate event, Eilers stepped in and the season continued without a hitch. By the end of the season, Eilers had over 100 assists alongside Krempasky’s 300+ assists.

Unfortunately, LoCicero suffered a leg injury during a game against Piscataway hindering her ability to finish her final year on the court.

Concerning LoCiero’s miss fortune, softball and girls volleyball coach Cheryl Iaione had this to say. “The season was gratifying for all, but if I could change anything, Gianna would have been able to return from injury and finish her senior year on the court,” Iaione said. “I would love to see the team play together one more year.”

Needless to say, with the support generated through past seasons, the girls were able to push through earning them another successful campaign. A challenging, yet memorable, game was the one following the incident which left the team down two starters.

Facing the adversity, the team successfully defeated Montgomery in the Somerset County semifinals in a rather dominating fashion, but alas, the girls lost the second round of states 0-2 against Westfield. Regardless of their loss, the season was one for the books. In addition, Iaione would like to thank all the loyal members of the student section who supported the team and inspired them to play continuously at a high level.

“Watching the team come together and accomplish so much was great,” Iaione said. “Their unselfish attitudes and putting the team before themselves says a lot about their character. The seniors will be missed and it has been a pleasure to coach them all and watch them grow up both on and off the court.”

• Girls volleyball adds another season for the books

Diagnosed with a case of senioritis

Battle Of The Bands showcases local rock talent

5 last minute gift ideas for that special someone on Valentine’s Day

Raiders hockey brings the heat to the ice rink

J.R. Spencer earns Educational Services Professional of the Year title

A rainy St. Patty’s Day in Somerville

Jonas Brothers make successful comeback with song “Sucker”

Op-Ed

Jussie Smollett is innocent until proven guilty and here’s why

Sports

Hillsborough girls basketball concludes a productive season

CYO championship is one for the ages