HHS Drama’s The Addams Family opens this week

Sabrina Schubert, Max Miller, Brandon Luckenbaugh, Merissa Joju, Jason Spinrad, Kyle Rear, Simren Patel

courtesy of Wasif Sami

courtesy of Wasif Sami

courtesy of Wasif Sami

Lexi Nielsen

Every year Hillsborough High School puts on a spectacular show. Some of the shows done in the past are Once On This Island, Pippin, and Into The Woods. None of these shows have ever failed to impress, and this year’s spring musical, The Addams Family, is seemingly going to be the best one yet.

The main role of Gomez Addams, the patriarch of the family will be performed by junior Brandon Luckenbaugh. The other leading roles will be performed d by sophomores Merrisa Joju (Morticia Addams) Sabrina Schubert( Wednesday Addams) and Wasif Sami will be playing Lucas Beineke, Wednesday’s love interest.

In short, The Addams Family is about the same family everyone knows and loves who is obsessed with everything dark and dead. In this production the Addams family is thrown a curve ball when Wednesday Addams falls in love with Lucas Beineke from Ohio. One night, Beineke and his family are invited over to the Addams’s house to get to know each other, but when the Beinekes witness the “craziness” of the Addams family, they are understandably frightened.

While most of the cast are focused on portraying their characters the best they can, others are also taking a leadership position in the production of the musical. Sami and senior Cassie Krick are also the Dance Captains of the show.

“It has been a lot of fun portraying the role and truly committing to the honesty of the character while also getting to help the cast with the dancing, a very important aspect of the musical as well,” Sami said. “For me, it’s the best of both worlds.”

Something that is sure to make The Addams Family one of the best shows HHS has seen is the chemistry on stage, and the friendships that the kids in the musical share.

“I’m most excited to get to work with my character’s love interest and one of my best friends, Sabrina Schubert, who plays Wednesday Addams,” Sami said. “Sabrina and I are such good friends in real life, and so far in the rehearsal process, that has translated to great chemistry on stage”.

While some have been friends for ages, their are also many kids who look forward to meeting new people every year when they do the musical.

“I love the feeling of togetherness when doing the musicals,” sophomore Maggie Johnson said. “I love the friendships made when putting together a show and the feeling of creating something awesome.”

With all the passion and creativity put into this show The Addams Family is looking like it is going be quite the spectacle and definitely worth seeing.

Go see Hillsborough High School’s production The Addams Family on Mar. 15, 16, 22, and 23 and there is an understudy show on Mar. 17. All shows are at 7:00 p.m.

• HHS Drama’s The Addams Family opens this week

Diagnosed with a case of senioritis

Battle Of The Bands showcases local rock talent

5 last minute gift ideas for that special someone on Valentine’s Day

Raiders hockey brings the heat to the ice rink

J.R. Spencer earns Educational Services Professional of the Year title

A rainy St. Patty’s Day in Somerville

Jonas Brothers make successful comeback with song “Sucker”

Op-Ed

Jussie Smollett is innocent until proven guilty and here’s why

Sports

Hillsborough girls basketball concludes a productive season

CYO championship is one for the ages