NJ colleges to consider

NJ colleges to consider

Montclair State University is one of the state's academic gems located a short trip from Manhattan.

photo via Wikimedia Commons under creative commons license

Christopher M. Smith, Staff writer

It is no surprise every senior is both stressed and excited about their future. New Jersey is home to 47 four-year colleges, giving New Jersey residents a variety of options. Between community college, trade school and a 4 year university-prospective students have over 100 options to consider..

To start, one of the most popular and populated schools is Rutgers University. Located in New-Brunswick, Camden and Newark, RU offers a wide range of majors and minors to choose from. With 29 programmed schools and over 35,000 students, Rutgers is hardly a place to trigger boredom. Greek life is very popular on campus, with over 50 fraternities and sororities. Such Greek establishments throw multiple fundraisers and spirit events, unifying the school and expanding friends’ groups. The Rutgers campus is dedicated to helping their students in and out of the classroom.They have over 8,000 full and part time faculty and over 14,000 staff.

Another popular college, and one of New jersey’s most prized possessions is Princeton University, Home of the Tigers. The school assists in New Jersey’s economy, contributing over $2 billion dollars. The Ivy League institution accepts less than 7% of applicants, and is known for its rigorous courses. The university has homed some of history’s most influential people.  Some alumni include, 2 U.S presidents, 17 alumni Nobel Prize winners, 26 faculty Nobel Prize winners, and three supreme court justices. There are 37 academic departments and 42 doctoral departments, which means there is a plethora of majors to choose from, offering both undergraduate and graduate schools. Even though a Princeton degree holds a higher esteem than many other schools, the annual cost is over $50,000.

Another impressive school is Montclair State University. MSU is located less than 10 miles from the Manhattan and with a bus and train station located right on campus, NYC is a popular weekend excursion. They have a nationally ranked dance program, producing some of the most impressive students. By taking advantage of the close proximity to the city, students are blessed with some of the most life changing opportunities.

Additionally, Rowan University is another great place to receive a critically acclaimed education. It is located in Glassboro, New Jersey, containing many historic landmarks. It is the 6th fastest growing research university in the nation according to chronicle of of higher education. The college continues to grow and spends an impressive $519 million for its operating budget. 

While this list is by no means comprehensive, it can provide a starting ponder a future home.

Christopher M. Smith, Staff writer

"Real friends stab you in the front."

• NJ colleges to consider

Diagnosed with a case of senioritis

• NJ colleges to consider

Battle Of The Bands showcases local rock talent

• NJ colleges to consider

5 last minute gift ideas for that special someone on Valentine’s Day

• NJ colleges to consider

Raiders hockey brings the heat to the ice rink

• NJ colleges to consider

J.R. Spencer earns Educational Services Professional of the Year title

• NJ colleges to consider

A rainy St. Patty’s Day in Somerville

• NJ colleges to consider

Jonas Brothers make successful comeback with song “Sucker”

• NJ colleges to consider

Op-Ed

Jussie Smollett is innocent until proven guilty and here’s why

• NJ colleges to consider

Sports

Hillsborough girls basketball concludes a productive season

• NJ colleges to consider

CYO championship is one for the ages

NJ colleges to consider