Trikha makes students’ lives easier

Trikha makes students’ lives easier

Trikha works on midterm schedules in her office located in the downstairs guidance office.

by Jack Renz

by Jack Renz

by Jack Renz

Jack Renz, Sports Editor

Most pursue a career in a passion or interest. Most want to be in a comfortable environment. Richa Trikha, one of Hillsborough High School’s guidance counselors, is not like most.

Growing up was not easy for Trikha. Moving is difficult at any stage of life, but moving in middle school, leaving friends and teachers behind, is extremely hard. In sixth grade, Trikha and her family moved from Edison to Watchung Hills. Trikha and her older sister, however, were not comfortable in Watchung Hills. The family moved back to Edison so Trikha’s older sister could complete her high school education but ultimately moved back to Watchung Hills after her graduation.

After high school, Trikha earned her undergraduate degree in psychology and communication at Rutgers University in 2013. From there, she earned a Master’s degree in “Counseling in Concentration in Schools” at Montclair State University in the spring of 2016.

In the fall of 2016, Robin Kenny, one of Hillsborough High School’s long-time guidance counselors, announced her retirement. With many years of experience, Kenny left big shoes to fill; Trikha, however, would make the perfect replacement.

In October of 2016, Trikha began her journey as the newest guidance counselor at HHS. Since then, she has earned the respect and trust of hundreds of students, which just happened to be her main for pursuing a counseling career.

“One of the biggest reasons I became a counselor was because I moved around a lot,” Trikha said. “A big part of me hopes to make it [a high school experience] less painful for other students.”

Today, she works with freshmen with last names beginning with “Ren-Sch,” sophomores with “Pia-Scha,” juniors with “Rac-Shy,” and seniors with “Pat-Saw.” With them, she advocates for every student and their needs. This could be writing letters of recommendation, helping them with questions about the school, or even recommending counseling to parents.

Although the position can be extremely demanding, Trikha has found a true passion here at Hillsborough High School.

“I like the interaction with my students,” Trikha said. “Being able to be with the same students from ninth grade to senior year and seeing their growth throughout high school.”

• Trikha makes students’ lives easier

Diagnosed with a case of senioritis

• Trikha makes students’ lives easier

Battle Of The Bands showcases local rock talent

• Trikha makes students’ lives easier

5 last minute gift ideas for that special someone on Valentine’s Day

• Trikha makes students’ lives easier

Raiders hockey brings the heat to the ice rink

• Trikha makes students’ lives easier

J.R. Spencer earns Educational Services Professional of the Year title

• Trikha makes students’ lives easier

A rainy St. Patty’s Day in Somerville

• Trikha makes students’ lives easier

Jonas Brothers make successful comeback with song “Sucker”

• Trikha makes students’ lives easier

Op-Ed

Jussie Smollett is innocent until proven guilty and here’s why

• Trikha makes students’ lives easier

Sports

Hillsborough girls basketball concludes a productive season

• Trikha makes students’ lives easier

CYO championship is one for the ages

Trikha makes students’ lives easier