Trikha makes students’ lives easier

Trikha makes students’ lives easier

Trikha works on midterm schedules in her office located in the downstairs guidance office.

by Jack Renz

by Jack Renz

by Jack Renz

Jack Renz, Sports Editor

Most pursue a career in a passion or interest. Most want to be in a comfortable environment. Richa Trikha, one of Hillsborough High School’s guidance counselors, is not like most.

Growing up was not easy for Trikha. Moving is difficult at any stage of life, but moving in middle school, leaving friends and teachers behind, is extremely hard. In sixth grade, Trikha and her family moved from Edison to Watchung Hills. Trikha and her older sister, however, were not comfortable in Watchung Hills. The family moved back to Edison so Trikha’s older sister could complete her high school education but ultimately moved back to Watchung Hills after her graduation.

After high school, Trikha earned her undergraduate degree in psychology and communication at Rutgers University in 2013. From there, she earned a Master’s degree in “Counseling in Concentration in Schools” at Montclair State University in the spring of 2016.

In the fall of 2016, Robin Kenny, one of Hillsborough High School’s long-time guidance counselors, announced her retirement. With many years of experience, Kenny left big shoes to fill; Trikha, however, would make the perfect replacement.

In October of 2016, Trikha began her journey as the newest guidance counselor at HHS. Since then, she has earned the respect and trust of hundreds of students, which just happened to be her main for pursuing a counseling career.

“One of the biggest reasons I became a counselor was because I moved around a lot,” Trikha said. “A big part of me hopes to make it [a high school experience] less painful for other students.”

Today, she works with freshmen with last names beginning with “Ren-Sch,” sophomores with “Pia-Scha,” juniors with “Rac-Shy,” and seniors with “Pat-Saw.” With them, she advocates for every student and their needs. This could be writing letters of recommendation, helping them with questions about the school, or even recommending counseling to parents.

Although the position can be extremely demanding, Trikha has found a true passion here at Hillsborough High School.

“I like the interaction with my students,” Trikha said. “Being able to be with the same students from ninth grade to senior year and seeing their growth throughout high school.”

• Trikha makes students’ lives easier

HHS continues to be a Skyland athletic and academic powerhouse

• Trikha makes students’ lives easier

Baseball opens 2019 with four straight victories

• Trikha makes students’ lives easier

National Honor Society welcomes new members

• Trikha makes students’ lives easier

New SEB club looks to make change in the community

• Trikha makes students’ lives easier

Pulitzer Prize winning poet Gregory Pardlo talks to English and history students

• Trikha makes students’ lives easier

Diagnosed with a case of senioritis

• Trikha makes students’ lives easier

Ways to celebrate Mother’s Day

• Trikha makes students’ lives easier

• Trikha makes students’ lives easier

Rockin’ Raiders rock their performance at Patriots game

• Trikha makes students’ lives easier

World Views

Who are the 2020 presidential candidates?

Trikha makes students’ lives easier