Ways to celebrate Mother’s Day

Make+this+Mother%27s+day+special+and+treat+your+mother+with+kindness+and+gratitude+

Ways to celebrate Mother’s Day

Make this Mother's day special and treat your mother with kindness and gratitude

Heather Suraci, Features editor

Mother’s day is approaching quickly, taking place this Sunday. Like many others, I want to celebrate my mother; however, each year I am faced with the same question: What should I get my mom for Mother’s Day? How do I show my appreciation for all that she does? Often, to be quite honest, I get stuck.

So this year I reflect: What would make my mother happy this Mother’s day? What makes her feel special? If, like me, you are stuck on what to do for your mom this Mother’s day, here are a few ideas of what to do to make her feel special and loved.

1. Relieve her of her duties

Moms are constantly tending to all aspects of the household. Whether it is cleaning the dirty dishes, or picking up after  children, they are constantly trying to manage the household. This Mother’s day, consider helping your mom out by vacuuming and dusting the living room, or folding a few baskets of laundry and putting it away.

2. Remember something she loves

Whether it’s a snazzy pair of shoes she’s had her eye on or her favorite snacks, a thoughtful gift reminds your mom of how well you know her and that you are thinking of her. What does your mom love? Be creative and be sure to include a thoughtful note with your gift.

2. Spend a day together

Set aside everything on Mother’s day and genuinely make the day just for you and your mom. Turn the day into an adventure with your mother and go someplace special to explore. Get the whole family together and head to a park for a picnic, or maybe tend to the family garden together.

3. Give to all mothers

Mother’s day is a day to honor all mothers for their love and hard work to keep life joyful and vibrant. This Mother’s day, consider donating to organizations that aide struggling mothers and their children. Additionally, you and your mother could look into local volunteer opportunities that benefit mothers in need.

4. Breakfast in bed

As cliche as it is, a classic breakfast in bed is always guaranteed to start a great Mother’s day celebration. Get your other family members to help you in treating your mother like the queen she is and serve her a home cooked breakfast in the comfort of her own bed.

Make this Mother’s Day special for your mom and think about how you can incorporate one or all of these suggestions. Perhaps you can start the day with a breakfast in bed and then gift her those shoes she’s been eyeing for awhile. After, you could stop by the food bank and drop off some canned goods and then drive to a local park and go for a picnic. Either way, make sure your mom knows how special, loved, and celebrated she is.

• Ways to celebrate Mother’s Day

HHS continues to be a Skyland athletic and academic powerhouse

• Ways to celebrate Mother’s Day

Baseball opens 2019 with four straight victories

• Ways to celebrate Mother’s Day

National Honor Society welcomes new members

• Ways to celebrate Mother’s Day

New SEB club looks to make change in the community

• Ways to celebrate Mother’s Day

Pulitzer Prize winning poet Gregory Pardlo talks to English and history students

• Ways to celebrate Mother’s Day

Diagnosed with a case of senioritis

• Ways to celebrate Mother’s Day

• Ways to celebrate Mother’s Day

Rockin’ Raiders rock their performance at Patriots game

• Ways to celebrate Mother’s Day

World Views

Who are the 2020 presidential candidates?

• Ways to celebrate Mother’s Day

Previews of the highly anticipated Spirit Night videos

Ways to celebrate Mother’s Day